How to Start a Weight Loss Journey: Top 5 Tips

weights scale and healthy food
August 17, 2023

Are you wanting to lose weight and improve your overall health and wellness but are unsure where to begin? Take the first step towards a healthier version of yourself with these top 5 tips on how to start a weight loss journey that’s doable and manageable for the long term.

1. Commit to setting realistic goals

Before embarking on a weight loss journey, it’s crucial to create a well-thought-out plan with realistic expectations of what you can achieve and how long it can take. Your mindset is just as important as the healthy habits you create. So sit down, write down your goals and the reasoning behind them, and then break down those goals into smaller, measurable steps. And with each step, remember to check in with yourself and mark your progress. Any progress, no matter how small, deserves to be recognized!

2. Focus on protein and fiber

various protein foods

It’s easy to get sucked into fad diets and liquid detoxes. But your body needs balanced nourishment from every food group – protein, grains, fats, fruits, and vegetables – to be healthy. While it’s easy to set a goal to cut out all sugar and limit carbs, it can be much harder to put those things into practice. While limiting carbs and sugar can be a good thing, try switching your mindset to thinking of things you should eat more of, like fiber and protein-rich foods that will keep you fuller for longer. A simple step could be simply adding more protein to each meal, like eating eggs at breakfast, tuna at lunch, and chicken for dinner. Making sure you’re getting enough fruits and veggies will also help balance your plate. Foods like broccoli, berries, nuts, and beans are great sources of fiber that are not only beneficial for weight loss but also for gut health!

3. Use the 80/20 mindset

One way to achieve long-term success in your weight loss journey is to use the 80/20 rule. Aim for eating balanced, well-proportioned meals with half of your plate fruit and vegetables, one-quarter of protein, and the other quarter with whole grains 80% of the time. The other 20% gives you flexibility in what you eat, protects against binging, and promotes a sustainable lifestyle. Say no to the all-or-nothing way of eating and embrace mindful eating instead!

4. Track your meals

food tracker app

While tracking what you eat shouldn’t be done for long periods of time, it might be helpful to kickstart your weight loss journey by journaling what you’re eating and when. This can give insight into your eating habits and what you can improve on. It’s also a good way to create healthy habits and acts as a means of accountability. Beware of obsessing over calorie counting, however, and maybe think about tracking other metrics instead, like can you do a certain exercise with less strain than before, or have your cholesterol or blood sugar levels improved?

5. Ask for help

Small changes build up over time for a sustainable and healthy lifestyle, and those changes don’t have to be worked through alone. Rely on a professional for a personalized plan, support, encouragement, and accountability. They can offer resources and advice that you can’t always get from family and friends.

No matter what your weight loss goal is, you can get personalized support to help you reach them. Our trained professionals are here to give you the tools to be happy and healthy. Reach out to us today to get started on your weight loss journey!

Related Blog Posts

compounded medication
July 25, 2023
Compounded Medications: Some Frequently Asked Questions
sun shining
July 13, 2023
4 Common Summertime Skin Problems and Tips for Treatment
target at top of stairs
May 14, 2024
How S.M.A.R.T. Goals Can Help You Improve Your Health
workout plan in book
December 14, 2023
5 Tips for Creating an Exercise Plan for Beginners